I LOVE HORSES!

Sunday, December 4, 2011

I am WOMAN!




I don't know how people actually have a life and find time to "blog" regularly! I have decided to challenge myself to once a week. Just what I need- another personal challenge jeez! why don't I leave myself alone!!! ...I have a fire in my belly. I always have the feeling I'm in a huge hurry and that fire in my gut just drives me and drives me. At some point I recognized it as motivation. I'm glad I have it. Considering the alternative is my brothers...I am learning to take a breath in the midst of my busyness and enjoy how much I love what I'm doing. Years ago when I changed from the "old" Brookes to the "new improved" Brookes, one of my favorite quotes that became one of my mantras is "A good day is when I control my thoughts - a bad day is when my thoughts control me." It is an amazing thing to recognize that I am in control... and when I am beginning to lose it!! Sometimes I look at what I accomplish in a day and I blow my own mind!   I was never a morning person. I always say the happiest day in my life was Evan's last day of high school because I would never have to get up early again! Ever since I opened the bakery I can hardly wait to get out of bed and down here to turn on the oven and get something going!! I am getting busier. Every week seems to bring something new and I am excited. The travel Channel was at the cafe that I bake for in downtown Asheville on Friday. It was one of my busiest days so far. I had a cake to frost,decorate (Birthday cake above- had trouble w/ the writing frosting took toooo much time!!!) and deliver first thing in the morning, 3 kinds of cupcakes to bake and frost, 2 cheesecakes to top and prep for delivery and a 3 layer cake to bake for Saturday morning. I came down to the bakery early with my coffee, turned the oven on to warm the place up and turned around to the computer to check in for the day. A few seconds later I heard a popping fizzing sound coming from the oven. -Opened the door and the element was burning like a firecracker fuse!!! OH MY GOD!!! Unreal!!! Of all days right??  Called one appliance guy and left a message (still hasn't returned my call!) Called Lowes who referred me to a local appliance supply, called them, (this is 8AM) super nice lady answered, gave them my info and they had my part in stock! YAY! Finished up the cake, delivered it and set off across town. Picked up the part, picked up a few quick groceries and headed back. Unplugged the oven - that sucker gave me a 220 shock when we put it in dammit so I'm scared of it! Got out the tools, removed the burned out element and installed the new one. It worked!! I did it!!! All by myself!!! hahaha I am so proud!! I am woman hear me roar!!! One of the 3 flavors of cupcakes was not good so I had to do them over. Cut my finger. Got everything done by 4:30 (did not bleed in the food) and headed over to the barn to get the stalls done and the horses in so I could get myself decent for the TV interview and head out of here by 6PM. PHEW!  ...Mr. perfect came pulling in the driveway shortly thereafter. Left work early to help me (of course) and he finished up the barn so I could get ready. Cracked a Heineken and took a breath. I guess we'll see if I looked OK if I ever get on TV!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment