I LOVE HORSES!

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Simple Joys



I've been making egg salad for my whole life it seems. My Mother used to make egg salad and tunafish (solid white only!) sandwiches for dinner sometimes when she was real busy creating outfits in the sewing room with my Grandmother. She made them on white bread and cut the crusts off and cut them all perfectly on the diagonal. There would be a big plate of them in the fridge 1/2 and 1/2 covered with saran wrap. We LOVED it! That soft white bread and the soft filling mmmm you could eat so many and it was fun too. Later on (when I was a newlywed and subsequently a new Mother) she and I would have lunch together all the time and we'd have them on toasted bread and she'd put like 4 layers of green or red leaf lettuce and we'd have Hellmans on one side of  bread and Miracle Whip on the other side- ready at exactly 1pm and we'd watch All My Children. Ahhh those were the days! She's gone now and I never eat an egg salad or tuna sandwich without thinking of her. Today I made the egg salad with my own eggs. I got my own chickens in April and had a personal vow not to love them. I was absolutely positive that it would be a disaster and that the dogs would eat them or the hawks would get them or something horrid. Well it's November and all 10 are thriving. I love them. I love their beautiful pure whiteness. I love their little noises. When I pull in the driveway and get out of my truck they come a runnin'- all ten of them like a bunch of puppies or something. Ten little white friends that love me. Their feathers are like angels wings, their beauty blows my mind. They are a dream come true. I have ALWAYS wanted fowl in the barnyard but was always too afraid to try. Today the horses were out loose grazing in the yard with the chickens all around them. It warms my heart!!! It's like the lion laying down with the lamb type of thing. Peace in the kingdom....And then there's the eggs! sometimes 10 a day! All the baked goods in the bakery seem much more special. The color of the cheesecakes and yellow cakes is amazing. Sharing them is amazing! -and simply making egg salad with them is amazing! Standing at the kitchen sink peeling them hard boiled- seeing them and feeling them in a whole different way. Wishing Mom was here to share it. Feeling nostalgic over egg salad! I mixed in a little of my homemade "Aunt Margie's Zucchini relish too.YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment